Step 2 for refreshing the website is to plan the main site pages.
Most small businesses can be described in about 4 key pages:-
- Home page
- One or more pages about Services or Products
- About us (the business, organisation or site)
- Contact details / form
Additional useful pages to consider are:-
- Examples or samples of work, products or services
- Testimonials / recommendations / satisfied customers
For this site, the main pages I will have are:-
- 1 page each summarising main services – Website Development and Website Maintenance (or Management)
- About Weblines
- Contact us
- Portfolio of work
I want separate pages for Weblines’ services rather than one summary page for Search Engine Optimisation reasons – a link or heading “Services” is very generic and not particularly helpful; a link or heading “Website Development” is much more specific and helps search engines to know what that page is about.
I will also do some Keyword Research, to check out what words people actually search on, before finally deciding what to call my pages.
Next steps are: –
- Refresh the design – nothing too fancy, just clear and clean and lively
- Plan the site pages properly – most small businesses can be described in 4 or 5 key pages and that’s the initial aim
- Write good, clear copy for those pages (keeping keywords in mind for the search engines)
- Clean up the site – and ensure there’s a helpful “404 File not Found” page for anyone who arrives at a page which has moved
- And we’re ready to move on!
Next step is to write good, clear SEO-friendly content for the site main pages.